Wednesday, December 14, 2016

Angels and Epiphanies Galore!


Um, so the Lord sent me a batch of epiphanies during second breakfast last Sunday. I spent the rest of the day emotionally overwhelmed a.k.a. fa-reeked out.

Then the angels instructed me to spend Monday decorating the Christmas tree and watching Forrest Gump. They did not instruct me to run errands during a severe thunderstorm with tornado warnings, but it wasn’t raining when I left the house.

Lessons learned on Monday:

1 . Make checking the weather forecast an every-day habit.

2. Kittens grow out of their desire to mess with the Christmas tree.

3. “Miracles happen every day. Some people don’t think so, but they do.”

4. “You’ve got to put the past behind you before you can move on.”

Before I share my epiphanies, I want to explain that they didn’t come to me out of the blue. These were answers to questions that I had been seeking for quite some time. They came to me out of my spiritual journey, my saintly research, and my recent wholehearted acceptance that the messages I’ve been receiving for about a year now are real messages from God delivered to me upon the intercession of the saints and through the intervention of the angels. 

They came to me also through some recent losses. Which I haven’t yet shared here, but I will now, because it all ties in:

I lost a somewhat-regular paid writing gig because I could no longer write small enough for them.

I, briefly, lost my hope for the future of my country. Reality smacked me hard in the face with the many and varied forms of hatred that are showing themselves because now some people feel they have permission. God’s stirring up our melting pot. He’s reminding us of free will, and He showing us the darkness. He’s mixing us up now so that we can see each other, have a conversation, stand up, and shine God’s healing light on all that darkness together. It takes courage, but we can do this.

I lost my father-in-law. He died on December 1 at the age of 95. I love him. His name is Don, but I call him Papa.

I think Papa is sending me courage from heaven. I’ve had to do some things recently that I wasn’t able to do before. One thing is to allow my friendships to be sorted into authentic and inauthentic. One friend who previously couldn’t be authentic with me, became so. I saw it after the election over coffee. I felt it when she called me with her condolences, and we had a right good conversation.

Meanwhile, I had been working on two saintly posts, one was St. Catherine of Siena which was a sort of milestone post for me because it was the post I couldn’t write about 1 year and a half ago. I realized then that I needed to take a sabbatical from writing so I could attend to my spiritual journey. I’m so happy to be back and in the thick of saintly research and writing!

And then there was my recent post on Margery Kempe. It’s long and I included a lot of quotes from her book. I mean, a lot of quotes. I kept trying to edit them down, but they all seemed to matter. I read my posts many times as I search for typos. During that process, I realized I had included all those quotes for me. I was the one that needed to hear God’s messages. I needed to hear how God and the saints and angels were right pleased with Margery and her good words because I’m a spiritual writer, too.

Speaking of angels, this weekend I was moved to read another Doreen Virtue book as research into the possibility of pursuing Spiritual Healing as a new occupation either in the form of Reiki or Angel Therapy. It’s called THE ANGEL THERAPY HANDBOOK. It’s good. If you are draw to that topic, I recommend it. Doreen Virtue has a lot of books, I recommend you check out her website or her books on Amazon or Goodreads to discover the book that fits your current angelic interests.

Anyhow, here’s what I learned specifically about myself from reading this book:

I learned that my guardian angel’s name is Minerva. That’s why that name keeps popping up in my life -- in my new feral, laundry-room cat, in a statue on a college tour, in the name of ancient temple ruins upon which St. Catherine’s body is enshrined. Minerva’s been trying to tell me her name for a while now.

I learned that the angels communicate to me mostly through claircognizance, clear thinking. Which makes sense considering what I write. As in there’s no way that I’m writing some of this by myself.

Speaking of which, I learned that the ‘hurry up, I’ve got to get this done” feeling I get sometimes is an indication that what I’m doing is a mission from God. Writing about silly ol’ Margery was a mission from God. Believe it or not. Or believe it, because it was. In this case, a mission God wanted me to do for myself to aid in my understanding of Him and His feelings for me.

I learned that I’m not to pursue renewing my Reiki Practice or becoming an Angel Therapist because that type of work doesn’t draw me.

Again, the above is what I learned as I was reading the book on Saturday. Then I went to bed, woke up, checked Facebook, did some social-media activism, got ready for church, and then as I was standing in the kitchen eating a quick bite of second breakfast, boom, these epiphanies occurred to me one after the other:

My true calling is that which I’m already doing. Saintly research and writing is my true calling!

My volunteer work is not my identity. If my efforts aren’t desired nor needed, c’est la vie. (Took me way too long to get to this place, but, you know, journeys sometimes take longer than anticipated.)

The biggest, most appreciative audience of my blog are the saints and angels. They love that I’m getting their words out to you.

Saints and angels go together like peanut butter and jelly because they work as a team in heaven to aid and encourage us.

I need no mentor nor confessor because I have books from which to learn, and I’m surrounded by saints and angels whom guide me, ever so faithfully, in carrying out the works of and comprehending the Love of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.

My perspective and writing is too broad for the Episcopal Church. I foresee a future in which denominations eventually reform to recreate one Church.

I wrote all this down quickly and then raced off to church to leap in front of the Procession to a seat saved for me by a new friend. And then I participated in the service and noticed the following:

In the Nicene Creed: “We believe in one holy catholic and apostolic Church.”

In the Prayers of the People: “Father, we pray for your holy Catholic Church: That we all may be one.”

In the Great Thanksgiving: Eucharistic Prayer B: “Therefore we praise you, joining our voices with Angels and Archangels and with all the company of heaven, who forever sing this hymn . . . “

Whoa. I was corrected. My perspective is not too broad for the Episcopal Church in whose liturgy we seek reconciliation in the recreating of one Church and whose liturgy, not only honors the existence of Angels and Archangels, but joins our voices with theirs.

My perspective is only too broad for certain pockets of people who follow a strict policy of patriarchal, overly-defensive adherence to mediocrity.

Then the saints and angels communicated to me the following over the course of the last two days, (I can’t pinpoint exactly when):

The people problems in the Episcopal Church are not my problems to solve. I’m free of it. It’s not my responsibility.

I am NOT to write a book about my spiritual journey. My journey had to take place to get me where I am now so that I can continue onward, not so I could go back and write about it. (I'm on my knees in gratitude. Thank you, Jesus, for releasing me from this one. Thank you.)

I am to write a non-fiction, spiritual book about the saints. My muse gave me the hook which I’ll keep to myself for now so as not to spill creative energy. I now have a specific focus. I’m so grateful, excited, and ready to get back to work on ignoring my pile of Nat Geo’s in the closet while I continue my deep study of the saints.

And in my gratitude, I’m sharing with you, my dearworthy readers, something that I had been saving for print publication -- my grandma’s recipe for my favorite cookies. They’re my favorite cookies because they’re my grandma’s. You see how this works. My grandmother, Antoinetta Nolletti, is my personal saint in heaven, who, along with my nephew, Phil, has encourage me in all my Saints and Recipes endeavors.

I’m gifting this secret - but not really secret because it’s an Italian traditional cookie that everyone’s Italian grandma knows how to bake – recipe to you to honor my letting go of the past, and to clearly communicate that the food recipes have always been the bonus, not focus, of Saints and Recipes.

Nettie’s Ciambelle


(Ciambelle translates into "ring-shaped cookies," but many grandmas make them as drop cookies, or even in a big loaf that they slice after cooling.)

Ingredients:

½ cup (1 stick) softened butter
1-1/2 cups sugar
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon vanilla
½ cup milk
3 eggs
3½ cups flour
¼ teaspoon salt
5 teaspoons baking powder

Icing

2 cups powdered sugar
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon milk
½ teaspoon vanilla
1 or 2 tablespoons hot water
Sprinkles or colored sugar

Instructions:

In a mixing bowl, blend butter and sugar. Add lemon juice, vanilla, milk, and eggs. Mix together. In another bowl, stir together flour, salt, and baking powder. Slowly add dry mix to liquid mixture to form sticky dough. Place in refrigerator to rest for 30 minutes while making icing.

Icing: Combine powdered sugar, lemon juice, milk and vanilla. Beat, adding drops of hot water until smooth. Set aside.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Drop small spoonfuls of dough onto parchment paper on cookie sheets.

Bake for 12 minutes or until the edges start to turn golden brown.

Quickly spread icing while ciambelle are still hot so that it melts down each one. Shake sprinkles quickly and carefully onto the melting icing before icing hardens.

Remove from cookie tray when cool.

Makes about 50 cookies.

Bonus Material:

Speaking of recipes, please don’t steal mine. I mean, here they are on the internet. So yes, use them in the kitchen! But don’t publish them under your own name. I mean, I’m trusting you here.

My next post will include a cool saint whom I know practically nothing about yet, the yummiest of food recipes, some activism you can join in on, and an author interview! You might want to sign up for email notifications so you don’t miss it. Hint. Hint.

Also, I need lots o' followers on Saints and Recipes before I can sell the book I haven’t written yet to a main-stream publisher. Plenty of time for you to hit those buttons to make it so. Thanks!

2 comments:

Rebecca Petruck said...

I'm so excited to hear about your new project--and of course for the Ciambelle recipe! (Esp since I no longer live near you to get some. Wah!)

This is one of the best sentences ever:

"Saints and angels go together like peanut butter and jelly because they work as a team in heaven to aid and encourage us."

May 2017 ring in so many wonderful things for you!

Maria Nolletti Ross said...

Thank you, REBECCA! And also with you!